Today I released the (closed) Beta version for Birth of Shadows to begin testing. I improved the game in many areas since the Alpha version. For instance, I figured out a way to implement destructible items without any noticeable limitations. It adds another dimension to the game and I’m really happy it worked-out. It did take longer than expected, though. In fact, I had to skip a few other things for this release such as the cinematic intro. I’ll have to push hard these next 10 days to get as much done as possible before the IGF deadline so I provide a good experience for the judges.
I think I’m in pretty good shape for it, even with just a Beta release. I played through the first board a little while ago and had a blast. It’s easy to forget why your game is fun when all you do is work on technical stuff for it. I often wish I could just focus more on the game itself, but that’s what I get for wanting to do everything from scratch :) Some day I hope to have a mostly data-driven game engine. Until then, I will have to grind it out.
As for the image above, it is from the game editor. It was reduced in size and cropped to get rid of the editor GUI. I wanted to provide a “lit” image to show some of the new scenery assets. If that board was shown from a running game, the “lit” part would surround players. The rest of the screen would be covered by a veil to indicate “fog-of-war.” I will get some more screenshots uploaded when I update the web site in the near future.
I’m exhausted, so I’ll post more info after the net game tomorrow night