It’s been more then a year since my last update. I have been working full-time as a software engineer. I spent about 6 months as a tech lead at a company that creates 3D simulations. The commute was a bit too much, so I switched to a job closer to home. I now work on network simulations.
I finally have some free time, so I decided to start working on a new game. I have been looking forward to working on a sequel to my RTS for a while now. I have a lot of ideas that I want to try-out. For the past few weeks, I have mostly been writing my design ideas onto a notepad. I have a pretty solid idea for the game, so I am now working on the code.
I want to keep the project simple due to my limited time. Most of my coding will have to take place during the weekend. Therefore, I will use most of the assets from my RPG for the initial prototype. I am using the Birth of Shadows game engine as the starting point. I can merge some of the RTS code from my first game.
Of course, it won’t be quite as simple as just merging the code between two games to create a new one. Some of the RPG design just doesn’t mesh with an RTS. For example, the “agro” code of my RPG will not work for an RTS, due to the much larger number of mobile entities. Right now, I am trying to copy large portions of the RTS code to the RPG engine. Then, I can start doing the “finer” coding, where I will go through the code and merge it.
It’s tough work, because I have to remember what each component of the game is supposed to do… and it has been quite a while since I even looked at my code. I’m hoping to get a relatively bug-free prototype done before September. If my RTS prototype is as fun to play as I hope, then I will focus on making it a real game. I’ll invest some money in new art assets, improve the graphics yet again, and try to complete the game by the end of next year.
But, I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself. For now, I am just happy to be working on a new game